Culture Differences Concerning Time
Monochromic
versus polychromic, I have never heard about these concepts, I have no idea of
what was then, but I started learning about them and it was interesting. I’m
from El Salvador City, a Latin American city where family, friends, and
relationships are first, I could understand about American people are monochromic.
Monochromic Cultures | One Thing at a Time: In a monochromic culture like the United States or
countries in northern Europe, time is a commodity. We have expressions like waste time or lose time or "time is money. As you have probably already figured out,
because time is such a commodity, showing up late, especially for a meeting or
a dinner, usually comes across as very disrespectful. A monochromic
culture functions on clock time. People like to focus on one thing at a time
and are usually concerned with completing objectives in a systematic way. In a
meeting, it's often important to stick to the plan or agenda and not to get
"off track" by talking about unrelated topics.
Polychromic Cultures | Many Things at the Same
Time: Polychromic
cultures like southern Europe, Latin American countries and the Middle
East, take a very different view towards time. People from these cultures
often believe that time cannot be controlled and it is flexible. Days are
planned based on events rather than the clock. For many people in these
cultures, when one event is finished, it is time to start the next, regardless
of what the clock says. In a business exchange in a polychromic culture,
sticking to an agenda might not be very important. Instead, many tasks like
building relationships, negotiating or problem solving, can be accomplished at
the same time.
Discussing the ESL homerooms, we will have various
understudies, from various nations, some could be monochromatic, and others
polychromatic. We as the need might arise to cause them to feel in the home,
not judge, make games or exercises where everybody could know one another, and
why they are that way. Regard what significant are a few things for somebody,
and furthermore not lash out on the off chance that he/she doesn't think like
us. Be conscious.
For instance, how sort of exercises I could treat bound
together monochromatic and polychromatic understudies? What might I do for them
to see one another and be conscious?
The more the global village becomes smaller the more polychronic and monochronic cultures will intermingle. I agree with you that being aware of how various cultures see time could reduce the possibility of it becoming a source of conflict.
ResponderBorrar