Culture Miscommunication
What
I learned this week is that paradigms cause us to interpret the world around us.
Everyone in different cultures sees the world differently, my perception is not
the same as Americans, or Africans, Asians because we have been educated
differently, but this not mean that I will judge what they think and see with
their eyes, and this not mean I will take what they think, or that they need to
think like me, is to live in harmony respecting every point of view.
This
could happen in an ESL classroom, we will have students around the world that
won’t think like me or their classmates, but as teachers, we need to create an
environment where everyone feels respected and free to say something and not be
judge. How would our students feel if we as teachers start judging their ideas
just because they are from another country? How would I feel if someone starts
judging me because of my ideas? This will affect our students learning.
Teaching
about other cultures in my classroom will help to create a great environment
where our students could learn about their classmates and why they think
differently, to have empathy with all of them, also me as a teacher to know how
to help them with their learning. When I served in Guatemala I saw many
differences in my culture Salvadorian but I didn’t judge them I learn about why
they do something, why they drink mate, and also learn words that here in El Salvador
we can’t say them but in Guatemala means different, etc.
The differences between one culture or another can be enormous. However, I believe that those same differences allow us to learn about what life is like in other places and at the same time help us understand that even if we have different perspectives we can live together in harmony. Very good post!
ResponderBorrarIt is interesting learning how different cultures perceive things differently. Yes it is important to teach our students not judge other cultures but to respect them. Enjoyed your post.
ResponderBorrarGreat post Dany. I agree with what you wrote and have learned so much this week. Most of it was a reminder but it's interesting how easily one can forget. We are so steeped into our own culture, upbringing, experiences, and way of thinking and perceiving that we forget how different it could be for someone else. I will bring this into my TESOL 5 class and speak to my student that I tutor because I want to help as much as I can. :)
ResponderBorrarhttps://tefltonya.wordpress.com/2022/05/21/may-21-2002-tesol-103-week-05/
Dany, it is wonderful that you are so thoughtful of others' actions based on the possibility of their culture. As a teacher this is an important part of good communication. You will do great!
ResponderBorrar