Differences in Manners
This
is an interesting topic, when I was reading I was thinking about some things we
do here in El Salvador, and one thing that came into my mind was that when we
are walking and we pass in front of some people that are eating we say Provecho
that could be translated to have a nice meal, I do not think that Americans
have a word that you say when someone is eating, anyway, here in El Salvador is
common to say that when a stranger is eating and you pass near them.
Another
thing that I could think of is that here in El Salvador when we know someone,
friends, and family we say hello with a kiss on the cheek, and when I tried to
do this in the USA they looked at me like I was insane haha. Also with my
friend from Spain, it was weird that they kiss 2 times on the cheek. I read
that in Asia, letting tips in a restaurant is an insult, but here in El
Salvador is disrespectful to not let tips when the waiter or waitress gave you
a good service.
In
Asia you need to take off your shoes when you enter someone’s home, it is a
demonstration of respect for it and for the family, but here in El Salvador
would be really weird if you let your shoes before entering someone’s home,
just if you have carpet in your home. I like to know more about other cultures,
and because of respect or just because I want to know more about it I will do
it, do their manners.
Dany, that is so interesting when we can compare different manners from different places. Thanks for giving some examples of what is considered polite in your country. I think this is so interesting and we can learn so much from the students by allowing them to share.
ResponderBorrarIn Ecuador they don't take off their shoes before entering the house either. However, in my house I do not allow anyone to enter with shoes hahaha. Very good arguments, Danny
ResponderBorrar